The Minnesota voter registration deadline is October 15, 2024 by 5:00pm for in-person applications and 11:59pm for online applications.
Check Registration Status
Check your Minnesota voter registration status here.
In order to register to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen, a resident of Minnesota 20 days before Election Day, and at least 18 years old by Election Day.
- It is possible to pre-register at 17 years old, but you must be 18 to vote. You must have completed all parts of any felony sentence, click here for more information. Unless a judge has specifically revoked your right to vote, you can vote while under guardianship. You cannot vote if a court has ruled that you are legally incompetent.
- College students can choose to vote in Minnesota or their home state, but may only be registered in one state. See more information here.
The deadline to register to vote in Minnesota for the General Election is October 15, 2024 by 5PM via in person and 11:59pm via online.
Minnesota offers in-person, absentee, and in-person absentee (early) voting in the 2024 general election.
There are no eligibility requirements to vote absentee in Minnesota, To vote by mail, you must apply to have an absentee ballot mailed to you. Absentee applications can be requested online or by fillling out a printable absentee application and returning it to your county election office by mail, fax or email.
- An absentee ballot can be requested any day of the year except the day of the election. Allow your county election office enough time to mail the ballot to you before the election.
- Your ballot must be received by mail by Election Day to be counted. You can track your ballot here. If you are dropping it off in person, it must be returned to the Election Office that sent your ballot no later than 3pm.
- You do not need to be registered to vote to request an absentee ballot since a voter registration application will be included in the materials. However, you must show proof of registration when registering.
- Further absentee voting information for Minnesota is listed here
Minnesota offers early voting in the form of in-person absentee voting.
- For most elections, you can vote early at your local elections office during normal business hours beginning 46 days before the election, September 20, 2024, and ending November 4, 2024. Find more information about voting early by casting an absentee ballot in-person here.
Locate your polling place here.
Election Day Practices
On Election Day, polls are open 7am-8pm.
- If your Minnesota voter registration is current and active, you do not need to provide identification at the polls. However, if you are a first-time voter who has not had your voter registration verified or someone planning to register to vote, you will need to provide proof of residency.
- Further Minnesota voting information is listed here.
This page was last updated on July 18, 2024.
Questions? Contact us here.