The deadline to register to vote is October 21, 2024 and can be completed in-person or by mailing a printed application.
Check Registration Status
Check your South Dakota voter registration status here.
In order to register to vote, you must be a U.S. citizen, be at least 18 years old on or before election day, and a resident of South Dakota.
- Residency requirements and guidelines in South Dakota are specified here. In order to register to vote you cannot be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law or currently be serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system. See more information about felony convictions here.
- College students may choose to register to vote at either their home address OR at their college address. See more information here.
The deadline to register to vote in South Dakota for the General Election is October 21, 2024.
Voter Registration Process
There are two methods of voter registration in South Dakota: mail in a printable application or in-person.
- You are required to show your driver’s license or provide the last 4 digits of your Social Security number when registering to vote in South Dakota. South Dakota practices automatic voter registration.
- Further voter registration information for South Dakota can be found here.
This page was last updated on July 20, 2023
Questions? Contact us here.
South Dakota offers in-person, absentee, and early voting in the 2024 General Election.
Any registered voter in South Dakota may request an absentee ballot and is not required to provide a reason. Click here to access South Dakota’s Absentee Ballot Application Form.
- Your application for an absentee ballot must be received by the county election office no later than 5 p.m. the day before the election (November 4, 2024). Be sure to mail South Dakota’s Absentee Ballot Application Form to your County Election Official, as only voters covered under the Uniformed and Overseas Absentee Voting Act can submit their application for an absentee ballot via fax or email.
- Your completed absentee ballot must be received by your County Election Official on Election Day before the polls close at 7 pm. Click here for a list of County Auditors (there are no drop boxes are available). Click here to track your ballot status.
- Further absentee/by-mail voting information for South Dakota is listed here.
South Dakota offers early voting.
- Early voting, also known as in-person absentee voting, begins 46 days prior to Election Day (September 20, 2024) and ends the day before the election (November 4, 2024).
Locate your polling place here.
Election Day Practices
On Election Day, the polls are open 7 am-7 pm.
This page was last updated on July 20, 2023.
Questions? Contact us here.